Advanced Learner Loans

Download the Advance Learner Loan Handbook


The advanced learner loan is provided by the government and the eligibility criteria is set by Student Finance England. Whether you qualify for this loan depends on your:

  • Course
  • Age
  • Nationality or residency status

To find out if you qualify, please contact Student Finance on 0300 100 0607 or visit the website at


The Application process for the loan is an easy two-step process

1. Apply for the course and attend an interview. If you are successful at the interview and you accept your place on the course we will issue you a Learning and Funding Information Letter with the relevant information that you need when you are applying for the loan.

2. Using the letter provided by the College, you can apply for the Advanced Learner Loan at

Please note that you can enrol and secure your place on the course, while your loan is being processed, however if the loan is not approved within 5 weeks of the enrolment date you will need to provide an alternative payment plan.

To find out more about how much you can get and about the repayment of the loan, please download our Advanced Learner Loan guide or visit

ACCESS TO Higher Education (HE) DIPLOMAS

If you’re undertaking an Access to HE Diploma and then go on to complete an HE qualification, the outstanding balance of your Advanced Learner Loan will be written off.

To qualify for this write off you must have fully completed both courses. You do not need to take out a loan for the HE course. However, it must be eligible for funding by Student Finance England.

The HE course does not have to relate to the Access to HE course you complete

Making the right choice

It’s important you consider your own circumstances and look into all options for paying for your course before choosing to take out a loan.

You may be able to spread the cost of the course and pay by instalments. To find out about the payment plans the college offers, please visit our Payment Options page.

If you want advice on managing your finances you can get impartial money advice from the Money Advice Service at