Help with childcare costs

Are you aged 19 or under? 

If you are aged 19 years or under at the start of your course, you may be eligible for Care to Learn funding which is a government scheme that can help with childcare costs while you study if:

  • you’re a parent under 20 at the start of your course
  • you’re the main carer for your child
  • you live in England
  • you’re either a British citizen or a national of a European Economic Area (EEA) country
  • your course qualifies
  • your childcare provider Ofsted registered

How to apply?

For further information and how to apply please visit the website -

Are you aged 20 years old or over? Interested in a College Bursary?

If your household income is less than £35,000 gross per year then we may be able to support you, through the Financial Support Bursary, with the cost of your childcare.

How to apply?

To apply, you need to complete the Financial Support Bursary Application form in person and submit the essential documentary evidence.

Evidence Required:

  • If you live in a household which is in receipt of a means tested qualifying benefit you can prove your entitlement by providing a benefit awarding letter, which must be dated within the past three months.
  • If you live in a household with an income of less than £35,000 gross per year but do NOT receive any benefits, you will need to provide proof of income for all adult members of the household, this includes:

– Current Council Tax Bill or Tenancy Agreement

– Bank statements for the past three consecutive months for each adult

– Payslips for the past three consecutive months for each adult

Please note that you may be eligible for the Early Education Funding (EEF). For more information, please visit the following website:

What childcare providers can I choose?

You can book childcare with a childminder near Hillcroft or if this option is not suitable to you then you may use an Ofsted Registered external childcare provider of your choice.


Childminders at our Hillcroft site

External childcare provider


Childcare may be arranged by the college behalf of you with one of the local childminders for each day of your course.

The childcare is provided by a local team of experienced Ofsted registered childminders for children aged 3 months to 11 years old and you will be given the opportunity to meet with a childminder prior to arrangements.

If you wish to use this facility, please contact a member of the Learner Services team. 

You may choose to arrange childcare with an Ofsted registered external provider.  Please note that you and the childcare provider will need to complete the Application for External Childcare Form which you will need to hand in to Learner Services.

Payments will only be made to the childcare provider once we have received the required forms. 

Please bring your evidence and the completed application form and hand in to Reception.

Exceptional Bursary Fund

In exceptional circumstance the College may be able to support individuals, dependent upon circumstances and funding available.

If you are completing a course that does not attract concessions or you do not meet the eligibility criteria, you may be eligible for financial help with childcare through our college bursaries raised through fundraising and donations. Please speak to member of the Learner Services team for further details.